Roasted Corn & Avocado Chicken Salad

June 17, 2012
Loaded with roasted corn, avocado, fresh lime, and chipotle peppers, this Roasted Corn & Avocado Chicken Salad is so not your typical chicken salad.  And it's oh-so good.


I have recently discovered that I love avocados.  I mean, really love them.  And I am soooo enjoying experimenting with them.  ... like with my Baked Eggvocado and Guacamole Grilled Cheese.  I've got an Avocado Egg Salad in the works, too ... I know, I know, it sounds weird ... but trust me, it's delicious!  And now, ... this Roasted Corn & Avocado Chicken Salad.

How about you?  Do you like avocados?

Well, if you are an avocado fan, then I think you'll love the new Avocados From Mexico recipe website Recipes from Avocado Lovers.   I'm happy to be partnering with Avocados from Mexico to get the word out about their new site.  (And my avocado recipes are included there!)

The folks at Avocados From Mexico have just launched this new recipes section on their site to give foodies who love avocados the opportunity to upload their favorite avocado recipes and discover other avocado fan favorites.  Be sure to check them out!

When I learned I was going to have the opportunity for this partnership, I set about working on developing this chicken salad original recipe.  I knew I wanted to do an avocado chicken salad, but I hadn't decided much direction beyond that.  Then, a roasted corn & mango salsa I make all the time came to mind.  Hmmmm, I thought ... what about a roasted corn & avocado chicken salad??  It could work...

... And it did work!!  It's actually even better than I expected!  Hubby loved it, too. 



Now, due to a little grocery shopping mishap on my part, this chicken salad contains a little twist-of-an-ingredient that isn't typically found in chicken salad.  It's happened to all of us ... you go grocery shopping and you think you have all your 'basics' on hand at home, right?  So you don't even think about purchasing them?  But then you get home, go to make a dish, reach for one of those basics, and ... Oh, no! ... find there's none of it to be found in your house?  Anywhere???  Oh, yes, I just love it when that happens.

But my mishap turned out to be a very happy accident, because the mishap-replacement ingredient lends a really great flavor to the salad.  Don't you love when mistakes turn out all happy like that?  Stay tuned to learn what that mystery mishap ingredient is!!

Start this dish by roasting some corn kernels ... fresh or frozen ... in a skillet with a little garlic.  Here's how the kernels start out ... all bright yellow.


Keep 'em going in the skillet until they get charred spots all over them, kind of like this:
(I actually could have let these kernels go a bit longer ... it's great for them to even get some black spots on them instead of just dark brown.)


Roasting the corn brings out it's natural sweetness even more, and gives it a tiny hint of a smokey flavor with its sweetness. 

Mix up the roasted corn with finely chopped red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, and chipotle peppers ...


... and then some chopped cooked chicken.


Next, give it some creaminess with sour cream and a teeny tiny bit of mayo.  And yes, you just found the happy-accident, mishap-replacement ingredient ... sour cream!  When I reached for my mayo jar, it just had teeny tiny bits of mayo left ... you know, clinging to the very bottom and sides of the jar.  So I scraped out what I could and grabbed a partially-used container of sour cream from the frig to make up for the mayo I was lacking.

Okay, to be 100% honest, my plan was to mix the sour cream into just part of the chicken salad so I could stage the photo shoot for this dish.  Then, I was going to run to the store and get more mayo so I could finish making the salad (and confirm that my amounts for the recipe were okay).

But when I tasted the sour cream-and-mayo-together version, I loved it!  So much so that that's the way I'm writing the recipe.

Last, but certainly not least, toss diced avocado together with fresh lime juice and gently fold it into the chicken mixture.  Serve the chicken salad up on a bed of lettuce, as a sandwich, or with a side of chips and dig on in.


Thank you for stopping by The Kitchen is My Playground. We'd love to have you back soon!


roasted corn chicken salad recipe, avocado chicken salad recipe, chicken salad with avocado, chicken salad with corn
Salads
Tex-Mex
Yield: about 4 servings
Author:
Print
Roasted Corn & Avocado Chicken Salad

Roasted Corn & Avocado Chicken Salad

Loaded with roasted corn, avocado, fresh lime, and chipotle peppers, this Roasted Corn & Avocado Chicken Salad is so not your typical chicken salad. And it's oh-so good.
Prep time: 30 MCook time: 10 MTotal time: 40 M

Ingredients:

  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels (a 12 oz. package of frozen corn equals 2 c.)
  • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped red onion
  • 1/3 c. chopped cilantro
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
  • 2 T. white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and finely chopped
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 2 T. mayonnaise
  • 2 medium avocados, diced
  • 1/3 c. fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)

Instructions:

  1. If using frozen corn, thaw corn completely prior to starting preparation.
  2. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook for about 30 seconds. 
  3. Stir in corn kernels. Cook corn for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. You want the kernels to develop brown, or even a few blackened, charred spots on them. Remove from heat and place corn in a large bowl.
  4. Add finely chopped red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, and chiptole peppers. Stir in white wine vinegar, salt, chopped chicken, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
  5. In a small bowl, toss diced avocado with lime juice. Gently fold into chicken salad mixture.
  6. Chill for about 30 minutes before serving.
Created using The Recipes Generator



Disclaimer:  This sponsorship is brought to you by Recipes from Avocados From Mexico who we have partnered with for this promotion.

9 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Wish I could send some on over to ya through the computer screen! :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh man. This is making my stomach growl. I've recently discovered my love of avocados too. I could bathe in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I now buy a big bag of them almost every week at Sam's Club. They're becoming one of my lunch-time staples. Yuuuum!

      Delete
  3. I love, love chicken salad....I can't wait to try your version. I am pinning this right now :)

    Thank you so much for sharing...I found you at Cast Party Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious! I love corn and avocado, can't wait to give this salad a try. Thanks so much for sharing at the Weekend Potluck!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked this as my personal favorite from last week's Weekend Potluck. Can't wait to see what you bring this week! Have a great day!
    ~Kim
    http://sunflowersupperclub.blogspot.com/2012/06/patriotic-potluck-weekend-potluck-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great chicken dish. Would you be happy to link it in to my Chicken Edition of Food on Friday? This is the link I found you via It's a Keeper's Thursday link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking this in. Have a super weekend

      Delete

I love your comments ~ I read and appreciate each and every one. When you choose to leave a comment, we collect and display your name, as provided by you. Clicking "publish" to submit your comment indicates your explicit consent for name collection. If you click the "notify me" checkbox {which is optional}, your e-mail is also collected. Clicking the "notify me" checkbox indicates your explicit consent for e-mail collection. Thank you so much for visiting The Kitchen is My Playground!

Blog Design: Tracimichele.com. Powered by Blogger.