Baked Eggvocado

February 25, 2012


Every now and then I find something out in blogland that I just have to try.  Immediately.  This Baked Eggvocado from The Traveling Spoon was one of those finds.  I came across this idea Thursday night while checking out one of my favorite blog hops, stopped at the store on my way home from work Friday to pick up some avocados, and whipped these up for Saturday morning breakfast this morning.  One word - delicious.

Rachel of The Traveling Spoon wasn't so sure she liked the taste of the baked avocado, but I loved it.  It was super creamy, and the runny egg yolk mixed with the creamy warm avocado was a really wonderful flavor combination - even better than I expected.  I see so many possibilities with this method - and will definitely be experimenting.  Wouldn't it be great with some salsa or pico de gallo spooned over it?  Sort of like a baked avocado version of huevos rancheros??  Chipotle?  Parmesan and marinara?  Lots of thoughts ... lots of thoughts for this one.

And I certainly won't relegate this to breakfast.  I see this becoming a regular in my easy-weeknight-dinners rotation. 

All you do to make this Baked Eggvocado is slice an avocado in half and hollow out the center a little bit to make it big enough to hold an egg.  The half on the left in the photo below has been hollowed out.  See how I made it quite a bit bigger than 'the original?'  (I ate the scooped out part straight from the spoon ... kinda like a breakfast appetizer, right?)


Then crack an egg into the hollowed out avocado center.  A little bit of egg white will spill out ... that's okay, no worries.  But, that's why the aluminum foil liner is in the pan ... it'll catch the spilled egg white and keep it from baking onto your pan and having to be scrubbed out later.


Sprinkle each egg with a little salt and pepper (and/or any other seasonings you'd like), and pop the pan in the oven.    The only thing I had to change from Rachel's recipe was the cooking time - my oven took a little longer than the 15 minutes suggested. 

When these little tasty treats come out of the oven, they'll look like this:


Serve them up with some fruit, and you've got one delicious and healthy breakfast! ... or lunch, or brunch, or dinner ...

Oh, yes ... I will be making these again.





Baked Eggvocado
Source:  Adapted from The Traveling Spoon
(Printable recipe)
Ingredients
1 ripe avocado
2 eggs
Salt & pepper, to taste
Other seasonings, as desired


Directions
1.  Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and scoop out a little bit of the avocado flesh to make a hollow big enough to hold an egg.  Place avocado halves in a small foil-lined baking dish.

2.  Crack an egg into each avocado half (don't worry if a little bit of the egg white spills over).  Sprinkle each egg with salt, pepper, and/or other seasonings, to taste.

3.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until eggs reach desired doneness.  (I baked mine for 28 minutes.)  Serve warm.

Enjoy!

15 comments

  1. So glad you enjoyed these! Yours look just amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Rachel. And for sharing this recipe! I loved it.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea I love eggs and avocados. I could also see serving this for any meal of the day, yum.














    What a great idea. I love eggs and

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple and so cool. I would wonder how baked avocado would taste, too, but I guess it is good all ways. I should have known. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and delicious! We loved having you link up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope to have you back again soon!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea - love it and what a visual treat too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO going to be making these. I love food that serves as bowls for other foods and, you're right, this is definitely for more than breakfasts! Thanks for sharing. Come visit when you can. SharleneT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating! I love avocado and I love eggs. I'll have to give this a shot! Thanks for sharing. I'm here from At the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen this idea, and absolutely love it!!!!! I LOVE avocados and this sounds like an awesome combination!!! I'll have to write this down on my list of things to try! In fact.. I just realized I have some avocados in the kitchen! Hmmm... :o) Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these with a fiesta twist. Absolutely LOVED them. I think the crunch of a fresh salsa on top definitely helped this recipe. Also, I never thought cooking an avocado would be down my alley. Thanks for the inspiration. I too have a food blog: www.diyculinaryschool.com. Here's my take on the baked eggvocado: http://bit.ly/FPe6gd!
    I look forward to trying more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vaish! I just popped on over to your blog to check out your version ... it looks delicious!

      Delete
  10. This looks SO good! We love egg and avocado...cannot wait to try! Beautiful pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried it and loved it. I am sharing my experience with your idea on my blog at www.gandcjohnson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments ~ I read and appreciate each and every one. When you choose to leave a comment, we collect and display your name, as provided by you. Clicking "publish" to submit your comment indicates your explicit consent for name collection. If you click the "notify me" checkbox {which is optional}, your e-mail is also collected. Clicking the "notify me" checkbox indicates your explicit consent for e-mail collection. Thank you so much for visiting The Kitchen is My Playground!

Blog Design: Tracimichele.com. Powered by Blogger.