Classic Chocolate Fudge ~ recipe cook-off

November 1, 2011
Classic Chocolate Fudge made with marshmallows ~ creamy and oh-so delicious.



Can you believe, until now, I had never made fudge before?  I love fudge.  So I don't know why I waited so long to try my hand at it!  I always thought it was hard to make - it's not.  It's easy.  Very easy.

So, you want to know what I went and did on my very first time making fudge?  I didn't make just one recipe of fudge.  No, no.  I put two fudge recipes to a head-to-head fudge cook-off battle.  See, I'm cooking my way through the family cookbook I published last year for our family.  And both my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law put a chocolate fudge recipe in the cookbook.  It just seemed like the right thing to do was to put both recipes to the test, rather than picking just one.  So, that's what I did.

The two recipes were similar in method.  The differences, you ask?  Well, my mother-in-law's recipe was made with marshmallows, had a higher ratio of evaporated milk, and a bit lower ratio of chocolate.  My sister-in-law's recipe was made with marshmallow creme (as opposed to marshmallows themselves), had a lower ratio of evaporated milk, and a higher ratio of chocolate.

So I set about to whipping up both.  And this method is so easy, I was done in no time.

First, bring some sugar, butter, and evaporated milk to a boil and cook it for a bit, stirring constantly, of course.

Boiling, boiling, boiling ...


Then stir in some chocolate until it's all melted.

Chocolate!

Finally, stir in the marshmallow until it's all melty and combined.

Stirring in the marshmallow

Pour the mixture into a pan, and let it cool to set up.  I used an aluminum foil sling in my pans to make removal from the pan (and clean up!) easier.

Here are my two finished products side-by-side ... I made one plain chocolate and the other chocolate-walnut, just for fun.  My mother-in-law's is on the left ... my sister-in-law's is on the right.  Which do you think won the cook-off battle?

And the winner is ...

Well, I preferred my mother-in-law's version! ~ the one made with the marshmallows themselves, the higher ratio of evaporated milk, and (surprisingly!) the lower ratio of chocolate.  To me, it had a smoother and creamier texture - just the way I like my fudge.  The other one was good, too, - but it had a slightly drier, more crumbly texture.  So, in  my book, marshmallows reign supreme over marshmallow creme!

Looks like I can cross fudge off my cooking & baking bucket list.  Well, chocolate fudge anyway.  Let's see, there's still peanut butter fudge ... Nutella fudge ... maple walnut fudge ...  rocky road fudge ...

Check out these other super tasty chocolatey treats:
Thank you for stopping by The Kitchen is My Playground. We'd love to have you back soon!


chocolate fudge recipe, chocolate fudge made with marshmallows, chocolate fudge recipe with marshmallows
Cookies & Bars
American
Yield: about 30-35 pieces
Author: Tracey | The Kitchen is My Playground
Print
Classic Chocolate Fudge

Classic Chocolate Fudge

Classic Chocolate Fudge made with marshmallows ~ creamy and oh-so delicious.
Prep time: 10 MCook time: 10 MTotal time: 20 M

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 stick (4 T.) butter
  • 3/4 c. evaporated milk
  • 1 c. (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 18 large marshmallows
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:

  1. Combine sugar, butter, and evaporated milk in a saucepan; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil, over medium heat, for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
  2. Pour in chocolate chips; remove from heat and stir until chocolate chips are melted. Add vanilla and marshmallows. Stir until smooth and all marshmallow is incorporated.
  3. Stir in chopped walnuts, if using.
  4. Pour into an 11x7" pan lined with aluminum foil. Cool.
  5. Use the edges of the aluminum foil to lift fudge from the pan; cut into small squares.
Created using The Recipes Generator

16 comments

  1. It looks so creamy! Thanks for doing the taste test - I've always used the marshmallow creme but now I'm going to try real marshmallows. It looks awesome. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to make this with real marshmallows. I have always used the creme. Thanks for a great looking recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love fudge and love your blog from the other side of the ocean !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!! My chocolate fudge recipe has marshmellows in it as well...it makes it so creamy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fudge looks absolutely picture perfect!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks perfect & absolutely mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colleen - Thanks for stopping by! I did not grease the foil lined pan, and fudge came out of the pan just fine. But I would think it would be perfectly okay to lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I love to eat fudge around the holidays - a perfect indulgence. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Finally I have found the right recipe! I have made fudge in college and it was a recipe that I had found off of the back of a can but it was not proportined right so I had to tweek it a lot! For some reason I either didn't write the new recipe down or lost is some where. I had found the original recipe but again it didn't work and I couldn't remember what to do to make it not runny. Your recipe is just right, very similar to what I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really yummy :-) If you'd like a recipe for peanut butter fudge, I've published one on my blog today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. when ever you add nuts it will be drier and crumbly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm just got done making this. It tasted great!! I made it with the caramel vanilla marshmellow and YUM!! Anyways, I barely got half of a 9x13 pan of it and it is very thin, can this recipe be doubled and still turn out ok. I ask because I have been told cookies can be doubled but in my opinion they dont come out as fluffy that way. Thanks for the recipe..it's a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok once it cooled it came out very crumbly not sure what I could have done wrong. When it was warm it was very creamy. I boiled it for about 5 minutes, my candy therm. recently broke so I just went off of your timed measurements. Maybe I boiled it for too long? Still has a good taste, just haev to suck on it lol

      Delete
  13. If I wanted to add peanut butter do you have a suggestion on what amount to add and when to add it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your best bet would be to "google" peanut butter fudge. We hope to have our own by next Christmas.

      Delete

I love your comments ~ I read and appreciate each and every one. When you choose to leave a comment, we collect and display your name, as provided by you. Clicking "publish" to submit your comment indicates your explicit consent for name collection. If you click the "notify me" checkbox {which is optional}, your e-mail is also collected. Clicking the "notify me" checkbox indicates your explicit consent for e-mail collection. Thank you so much for visiting The Kitchen is My Playground!

Blog Design: Tracimichele.com. Powered by Blogger.