Nutella French Toast

September 25, 2011
Nutella-stuffed french toast, topped with bananas or fresh strawberries and drizzled with pure maple syrup, is out of this world good.  A perfectly delicious breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner treat.



This creation was a total one-day-I-got-a-wild-hair experiment that sooooo worked!!  I had seen some postings out in blogland about peanut butter and jelly french toast and about chocolate french toast.  As usually happens with me, I started to wonder ... I'm always wondering ...

My wonder was (which you've probably already guessed), if you can make french toast with things like chocolate or peanut butter and jelly, I wondered if it would work with Nutella?  Well, it did!  Oh, it more than worked - it's delicious.

I love "wonderings."  In my 1st grade classroom I call them "I wonders."  I love to hear my little 1st graders wonder.  When we do our first science experiment of the year, I just start wondering aloud about things we could test and try.  They quickly catch on, start wondering themselves, and I start testing out their "I wonders."  It's so fun. 

Our first science experiment of the year is always dealing with force - the students are learning about pushing and pulling as the two types of force.  We take various objects and see if the force from a common, personal fan is strong enough to push them.  Who would think such a simple activity would be so much fun for the students?  But they love it!  One of the objects I always use is a balloon.  I take it straight out of the package, deflated, and see if the fan can move it.  No deal.  It never takes long for one of the students to say, "I wonder what would happen if you blew up the balloon?"  Ahhh, music to my teacher ears.  They're thinking.  They're wondering.  I love it.

And so it went with this Nutella French Toast.

I started out dipping some French bread slices in an egg-and-milk mixture, just like you would for traditional French toast.  Then on to testing out my first "I wonder" ... I slathered Nutella on each piece and stuck the pieces together in a stack ... tasted it ... and it was fabulous!

"I wonder" #1 - French Toast slathered with Nutella


Then the experiment continued with another "I wonder" --- I wondered if Nutella and maple syrup are good together?  I'm a Vermont girl, so French Toast without maple syrup just seems wrong.  I had to give it a go.  So, on went the maple syrup ...

"I wonder" #2 - Nutella French Toast with maple syrup

... and Oh.  My.  Word.  Nutella and maple syrup are indeed very good together.  Like truly indescribably good. 

And then the experiment continued with another "I wonder" --- I wondered how it would be with banana and strawberry slices?  On went some bananas and strawberries ...

"I wonder" #3 - adding sliced bananas and strawberries

... and it's even better!!  Of course, when I ate it, my plate was certainly not as neat looking as the plate in this picture.  I cut up the French Toast, bananas, and strawberries and made sure everything was all swirled in with the maple syrup.  Yum.

And that's how this treat came to be.  A Nutella-y, maple syrup-y, banana, and strawberry swirled-up concoction that is oh-so-yummy for my tummy!  This will become a staple in my breakfast-for-dinner line-up.  I foresee frequent appearances.  Very frequent appearances.

Thank you for stopping by The Kitchen is My Playground. We'd love to have you back soon!



Nutella French toast recipe, Nutella stuffed French toast, recipes with Nutella
Breads
American
Yield: 4 slices (about 2 servings)
Author:
Print
Nutella French Toast

Nutella French Toast

Nutella-stuffed french toast, topped with bananas or fresh strawberries and drizzled with pure maple syrup, is out of this world good. A perfectly delicious breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner treat.
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 10 MTotal time: 25 M

Ingredients:

  • 4 (1/2"-thick) slices French bread
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 T. butter, to coat pan
  • Nutella (about 1/4 c.)
  • Maple syrup (preferably pure Vermont maple syrup!)
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 4 strawberries, sliced

Instructions:

  1. Combine beaten eggs and milk in a wide shallow dish. Dip a bread slice in the egg mixture; turn and dip the other side, coating well. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
  2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to the pan, and coat the skillet surface with the melted butter. 
  3. Place coated bread slices in the pan and cook each side until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.
  4. Remove bread slices from the pan and place on a plate. Spread two of the slices generously with Nutella; place the remaining two slices on top to form sandwiches. 
  5. Top with maple syrup, sliced bananas, and sliced strawberries.
TRACEY'S NOTES:
  1. Adjust quantities up or down to make desired number of servings.
  2. We have also made this with regular sliced bread. It's good that way, too.
Created using The Recipes Generator



17 comments

  1. Wow this looks absolutely amazing, and your photos are beautiful. I am so making this for well me lol. My family is crazy and doesn't think Nutella is to die for. Me though I eat it by the jars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Lord!!! And I thought my cinnamon roll pancakes this morning were indulgent! lol
    Clearly I will need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious creation! I'm so glad you tested maple syrup with it, because of course french toast isn't french toast without it. I'm going to have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those who love Nutella I think you may want to consider trying out Justin's Chocolate hazelnut spread. It's another great spread that I use daily. Tracy you did a bang up job on this french toast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my lord, this looks absolutely AMAZING. I definitely have to try this out...soooooooo tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your recipe! Would you come over to CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY tomorrow and share it with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. holy cow...what else is there to say? holy figgin cow. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~mmm!! This looks delicious. I would love it if you could stop by and share this at my linky party! http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/09/bedazzle-me-monday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks amazing.Would never of thought of sandwiching nutella between two slices of french toast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I hopped over from Sweet as Sugar Cookies. This French Toast looks amazing! It will be a hit when I make it here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One word: awesome. You had me at Nutella. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is my kind of breakfast! I think that would lead directly to a mid-morning nap. Perfect for a leisurely Sunday morning. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this. looks. amazing.

    so perfect for a lazy sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg! instead of death by chocolate...its Nutella. I love that spread!! I can eat it day or night :)
    Amazing recipe and the photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my! my mouth is literally watering! THis looks fabulous! I am a nutella addict and I have to make this ASAP! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Acabo de enamorarme de una receta de cocina. Nunca lo imaginé.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found your recipe via pinterest and since I happen to have just a bit of egg nog left from the holidays I said to myself "I wonder..." so I'm going to try nutella eggnog french toast tonight.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments ~ I read and appreciate each and every one. When you choose to leave a comment, we collect and display your name, as provided by you. Clicking "publish" to submit your comment indicates your explicit consent for name collection. If you click the "notify me" checkbox {which is optional}, your e-mail is also collected. Clicking the "notify me" checkbox indicates your explicit consent for e-mail collection. Thank you so much for visiting The Kitchen is My Playground!

Blog Design: Tracimichele.com. Powered by Blogger.