Black Bottom Cups - mnah, mnum!

August 9, 2011
With their scratch-made chocolate cake bottoms and chocolate chip cheesecake centers, these Black Bottom Cups are little bites of chocolate-and-cheesecake heaven.
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS FOR LATER

Black Bottom Cups Image ~ scratch-made chocolate cake bottoms topped with a chocolate chip cheesecake center.  Little bites of chocolate-&-cheesecake heaven!


Well, that jukebox my Mom says I have in my head is at it again!

See, I grew up watching Sesame Street and The Muppets.  Remember the song "Mnah, Mnum" from The Muppets?  You know, it goes ...  "Mnah, mnum, do-do-do-do-do.  Mnum, mnum, do-do-do-do."  My Mom and I used to sing that song whenever we were cooking and something turned out really good.

So why am I talking about this song now?

Because these Black Bottom Cupcakes deserve to have that song sung for them!

It's hard to believe, as delicious as these cupcakes are, that they're so easy to make.  

Yes, they're that good.  A dark chocolate cupcake with a chocolate chip cheesecake center - Oh my gracious, they're amazingly delicious.  And we owe my Mom for this fabulous recipe - I have no idea where she got it, but I'm so glad she shared! 

So, in honor of these cupcakes and all the great times I've shared with my Mom in the kitchen, here's Animal (and a few other Muppets) singing "Mnah, Mnum."

I love Animal!  He was always my favorite.  Take it away, Muppet friends!


Thank you for indulging me on that nostalgic song.  Animal always cracks me up.

Okay, time to step off Memory Lane and come on back to baking cupcakes.  It's hard to believe, as delicious as these cupcakes are, that they're so easy to make.

First,  just mix up a simple cheesecake batter - cream cheese, an egg, a bit of sugar, and some mini chocolate chips.  Set that aside.

Black Bottom Cups ~ scratch-made chocolate cake bottoms topped with a chocolate chip cheesecake center.  Little bites of chocolate-&-cheesecake heaven!   www.thekitchenismyplayground.com

Then, mix up a really easy chocolate batter.

Black Bottom Cups ~ scratch-made chocolate cake bottoms topped with a chocolate chip cheesecake center.  Little bites of chocolate-&-cheesecake heaven!   www.thekitchenismyplayground.com

Fill muffin pan cups with paper cupcake liners.  Spoon some chocolate batter into each paper cupcake liner, and then top each with a heaping teaspoon of cheesecake batter in the middle.

Black Bottom Cups ~ scratch-made chocolate cake bottoms topped with a chocolate chip cheesecake center.  Little bites of chocolate-&-cheesecake heaven!   www.thekitchenismyplayground.com

Bake them up and then let them cool.  And believe me, letting these little cakes cool is is the hardest part of the recipe - because you'll want to grab one to eat as soon as they're out of the oven!


Once they're cooled, dig in!

I love how the cheesecake just peeks out on the top, but then is a really big hunk of cheesecake when you bite in.  Delish.

I bet Animal would destroy the whole batch in about 30 seconds flat, don't you think?

Thank you for stopping by The Kitchen is My Playground. We'd love to have you back soon!


chocolate cheesecake cupcakes, cheesecake cupcakes recipe, chocolate cupcakes with cheesecake centers recipe
Cupcakes
American
Yield: about 18 cupcakes

Black Bottom Cups

With their scratch-made chocolate cake bottoms and chocolate chip cheesecake centers, these Black Bottom Cups are little bites of chocolate-and-cheesecake heaven.
prep time: 15 Mcook time: 35 Mtotal time: 50 M

ingredients:

Cheesecake Center:
  • 1 c. cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 unbeaten egg
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Bottom:
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 c. cocoa
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/3 c. canola oil
  • 1 T. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

instructions:

How to cook Black Bottom Cups

Prepare the Cheesecake Center:
  1.  Combine cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, egg, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Beat well.
  2. Stir in mini chocolate chips. 
  3. Set aside.
Prepare the Chocolate Bottom:
  1.  In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cocoa. 
  2. Add water, vinegar, oil, and vanilla; stir to combine.
Bake:
  1. Line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners. 
  2. Fill each cup 1/3 full of chocolate batter. Top each with a heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.
TRACEY'S NOTES
  1. I always seem to have extra cheesecake batter. I drop a 'Nilla Wafer, an Oreo, a crushed up graham cracker ... or whatever I have on hand ... into the bottom of a couple of cupcake liners as a crust, top them with the leftover cheesecake batter, and bake these up as mini cheesecakes right along with the cupcakes. I've even used a couple of animal crackers as the crust! These make-shift mini cheesecakes are quite tasty, too.
Created using The Recipes Generator


24 comments

  1. sound real good will try

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listned to every word of the song... and now whenever it comes up, I know how to spell..

    Mnah, Mnum

    Oh, and the recipe is indeed Mnah mnum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes do deserve a song. They look delicious. Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for linking your delicious cupcakes at Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I should tell you that I almost fell off my chair just now when I saw how easy and AMAZING these look! I'm almost shocked that it could be that easy. I guess I have to try it out for myself (oh darn). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look chocolaty and gooey..so good! Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my yum! These look incredible! Will you link them up today? http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-post_11.html
    New follower!
    http://www.homesandbabies.com
    http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I've actually tasted this in a restaurant once and REALLY LOVED IT. I'm so glad you posted this! Thank you for sharing!

    I'm your newest follower and host of Foodie Friday. Thank you for linking up with us! When you have a chance, please come and meet us over at voiceBoks.com. It is a great site that allows women to engage and really connect with each other. You won't find the same unpromising atmosphere that you normally do elsewhere. Our site allows you to gain INSTANT followers (yes, they really do follow, you'll see), INCREASE YOUR TRAFFIC, and have a chance to connect with some great women. The traffic we generate for our members is usually VERY good considering we're a fairly new site. In just 1 month after our relaunched, we accumulated over 18,000 posts and 365,500 page visits! Please come take a look and I guarantee you will be impressed with the results.

    You may also check out these sites for testimonials of our site:

    Best Social Network of the Year

    A Great Blogging Community for Moms

    voiceBoks - The Place to Be

    and... Top 10 Blogs for Work at Home Moms

    Hope to see you there!

    Sincerely,

    Lexie Lane
    www.voiceboks.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these flavors together - and I've been on the search for a new recipe for black bottoms. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing with Sweets This Week.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh,these look really delicious! I love cupcakes will filling - like two treats in one! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these look amazing! The perfect recipe for this week's Sharing Sundays, theme CUPCAKES!! Please come by and link up this recipe and any other cupcake recipes you would like. We will feature the top 5-6 viewed recipes next Sunday. The link is opened until Saturday evening.

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com/2011/08/everyday-sisters-sharing-sundays-8.html


    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look sooo good! I love cream cheese in baked goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so yummy, and I think you got all of my weaknesses! This recipe is being featured this week at Mangoes and Chutney. If you need any buttons, you can find them Here. Thank you for linking up to Fat Camp Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious! Cream Cheese is a weakness....
    We would love to have you over at our first link party! *Crafty Lassie Tuesday*
    www.SewStylishBoutique.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. THANK YOU so much for sharing your recipes with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I'd like to invite you back this week.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I have piiiiiinned this post! These look amazing! Thank you so much for linking up at HomeSavvyAtoZ.com's Savvy HomeMade Monday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I just added this to my pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for linking up!
    We are going to keep this going every Tuesday...
    Everyone is welcome to join in on the fun, so invite your friends.
    :0) Heather & Rose
    www.sewstylishboutique.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drool! I'm also visiting from the Foodie Friday Hop. I love Animal too - my favourite muppet. I have sung that little ditty many, many times. Sometimes, people join in. Other times, they look at my like I have three heads. :) Good times. Can't wait to try these cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm, these look so yummy. Hopping with Vb, just got to it late. Your blog is lovely. Now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow these look SO good! I LOVE Black Bottom Cupcakes! I saw your post on Tea Party Tuesday. I can't wait to try making these, I can't eat gluten, so I'll have to play with the flour part, but I can't wait to try. Thanks so much for sharing. And by the way, my little love and LOVE that Muppet clip, we have the first season of the Muppet Show and that clip is on it :) That made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that Muppets song, LOVE those cupcakes!!! I've never had those, my mouth is watering looking at this. And Animal was my favorite Muppet, Oscar my favorite Sesame Street character!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look amazing (as always) and featuring when my link party opens!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments ~ I read and appreciate each and every one. When you choose to leave a comment, we collect and display your name, as provided by you. Clicking "publish" to submit your comment indicates your explicit consent for name collection. If you click the "notify me" checkbox {which is optional}, your e-mail is also collected. Clicking the "notify me" checkbox indicates your explicit consent for e-mail collection. Thank you so much for visiting The Kitchen is My Playground!

Blog Design: Tracimichele.com. Powered by Blogger.